Just a handful of days for the official launch of the Apple Watch are. Although it is estimated that its sales during the last week have been around one million units only USA, its success or failure will not see it up to within one or two years. The same time that long before the iPod and the iPhone exploit in sales.
But that does not prevent that we can discuss and draw some conclusions about how it will impact his arrival to the emerging market of wearables devices. In particular, one of the opponents of the Watch is an old acquaintance of readers of Applesfera: the Pebble smart clock. More than two years ago that we could take the glove and the truth is that this bet funded from Kickstarter has not done more than improve over time.
Pebble has been able to recognize the importance of developing good software with hardware
Your operating system version 2.0 from little more than one year ago brought many improvements and new features, the most important being an app store itself. This product increased capabilities and evolved towards a true technological maturity, all for a ‘simple’ software update.
And of course, we have the new generation of Pebble, Pebble Time, who has returned to beat records of funding on Kickstarter thanks to an important basis of very loyal customers. But will it be enough to survive in the iOS ecosystem after the launch of the Apple Watch?
The dependence of the Apple Watch with the iPhone
Much criticized reliance on Apple Watch with the iPhone. Some limitations are more severe than others:
- If you want the activity app to record your route to go running, you will need to take the iPhone with you by your GPS. Something that is especially uneasy if we have opted for the iPhone 6 Plus.
- The Watch will need to be connected by bluetooth to iPhone to be able to make and receive any communication (email, calls, messages). Although if we are at home and on the same WiFi network it appears that this restriction disappears.
- Apps included in the home of the Apple Watch only you can rearrange from an iPhone. The app companion that already comes standard from iOS 8.2 will be where it will control this and other features.
- The absence of native apps is that Apple has decided to leave in the hands of iPhone heavier processing tasks. Which may cause a delay in your load on a device in which speed is more important than ever.
On this last point, the Apple company said at the time that in the future and an update of software apps they would run natively. Happened something similar with the original iPad, which did not receive the long-awaited multi-tasking until an update at the end of 2010 made it possible. The first two points could be resolved in future versions of the Apple wearable.
Limitations that will undoubtedly throw back more than one, at least during the first months of life of the Watch. However, this dependence on the iPhone also has its good side. Apple Watch will get an integration with the iPhone impossible to match by any other current smartwatch competition.
A unique market integration
Apple has always been proud to create complete products combining hardware, software and services. A philosophy that no doubt It has been paying off during the last 15 years, especially since the introduction of the original iPod. There are plenty of recent examples:
- Every iPhone comes with a new version of operating system from the first day of its launch.
- Updates are also available for any compatible device from the first minute. Being the adoption of the 8 iOS 80% at the beginning of this month (iOS 7 always will be a reference in this regard).
- Continuity and Handoff as forms of clear lines separating to the Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- The combination of 64-bit chips made possible the necessary speed of functionality like Touch ID, as well as the safety and the comfort of Apple Pay.
- The new Trackpads with Force Touch, which by the way we saw for the first time in the Apple Watch in September.
Apple Watch will inherit all these qualities and many others have not mentioned or that we do not know the time. By limiting the functionality of your devices, Apple can focus on doing little but do it well. Instead of trying to do it all but bad. The iPod, the iPhone and the iPad have had a more or less of a computer unit
The iPod has always depended on iTunes and on a computer to load songs, modify lists and buy content. If I would have tried to incorporate all these characteristics, the result would have been one of those generic MP3 players. The iPhone has been limited by a computer and iTunes until little. It was with iOS 5 when we were able to cut the umbilical cord, at least cable was no need.
The advantages of the Apple Watch
We must not underestimate the muscle that has the scale of Apple
That Apple clock is dependent on the iPhone has advantages and disadvantages. But it’s an integration that Pebble is not going to ever achieve. By the simple fact that who develops the wearable and the iPhone are two different companies.
May be a successor of the Time Pebble show us an incoming email and is there nothing more to unlock the iPhone? Or control the Apple TV? Or send a message by iMessage using Siri? Make use of my credit cards stored in Passbook? Can send a location from maps on Mac to the wrist to guide you along the way? Probably not, or at least not in the same way.
But without a doubt, the biggest advantage of Apple Watch about Pebble is that It has the scale of a giant like Apple to move the market. It has a distribution network of more than 400 Apple Store worldwide, where 38 different clock models you can try.
A scale that has allowed him to create lines of production and logistics to deliver a device with materials as different as leather, steel, aluminum, rubber, or gold. And do it with millions of units in many countries.
The original Pebble began to surrender to their buyers in early 2013. Gmail email notifications did not come until August of the same year. ¿Maintain this pace can afford now?
Pebble – a wristwatch with an E Ink display that syncs …
Top 10 Smartphone Stocking Stuffers – Part 3
Misfit Adds Shine To Wearable Health
Download Motrr App Store softwares
Games: Fit for a wrist?
Vine App Review (iOS) :: Tech :: Reviews :: Paste
Download Android Wear 2.4.15 iPhone
12 Nerdy Situations Perfect for the New Colbert Emoji …
5 Cool Crowd-Funded Tech Products
Pebble Adds Bluetooth Smart Notifications For All Apps On …
Apple Watch Development vs. Pebble & Android Wear Development
How to over-engineer a door lock – freeCodeCamp
Sony SBH50 Bluetooth Headset Review
Review: Block Fortress
Diabetes Data, Everywhere
Pebble – Older Brother of Modern Smartwatches
iOS 11 beta 3 have screen Live-Streaming Capabilities